Wednesday, August 4, 2010

ready or not?

My heart beats rapidly and my stomach sinks as I sit on the porch watching an amazing storm and thinking. Thinking about this next step I'm taking. Thinking about how I am moving to India, and going to be learning the language, and living there. Living and trying to take every opportunity to share the gospel and help people and come alongside them and raise awareness of the injustice that is all around us. It suddenly seems overwhelming... the thought of learning a new language, a new culture, new housing, new food, new friends, new everything, it almost seems like a new life.

Yet I think to myself, I like my "old" life... why are so many things changing? And God reminds me yet again that for me to grow I have to be out of my comfort zone... I can grow in Him more when I am forced to rely on Him, forced to ask for help, forced to "need" Him in my everday life. When I'm in an uncomfortable setting, I notice my need for God in my life more. In a comfortable enviroment it is easy for me to say I trust God as all my needs are easily provided for and I have friends & family who love me and want me around. But when it's all stripped away, when the friends aren't there and you can't fall back on your family and you don't know how you will pay the bills and you can't even speak the same language as the person standing next to you on the street... you have to go to God. There are no other options. It's all stripped away. It's just you and God. And it's hard, but it's beautiful. And I wouldn't trade it for the world... so that sinking feeling in my stomach... it's like I know that challenges are coming, and it's time to brace myself. It's time to step it up, and stop living comfortably. It's time to be reminded of who God is, and it's time to give Him the glory He deserves. So feelings aside, bring it on God, because I'm ready to go deeper with you. I'm ready.

2 comments:

  1. Cool entry April- I can sympathize! God really has us in a similar season.
    We are so blessed to live an international life & have Gods love for another nation... May you have grace and favor in your language studies! And i have no doubt you will make lifelong friends and enjoy the food! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is really cool april :) i love you so much. i know that God is going to do some amazing things through you in India. He is going to change your life. (: i pray for you all the time. -Rachel.

    ReplyDelete