Friday, May 21, 2010

What's happening this year?

Here I am in Salem, Oregon... I just realized I've been here for a month already and haven't sent an update. Time is flying too fast! So let me fill you in...

As I am looking at how I can get more involved with injustices (i.e. human trafficking, child labor, poor health care, etc.) that are happening around the world, I have come here to get connected with the Women & Children's Advocacy Centre (WCAC) ... (a ministry of YWAM) so I am doing a lot of research on injustice issues, educating myself and starting to meet with the founder/directors of the Centre to get the big picture of what they are doing. So I am currently learning a lot and starting to put together the vision God has placed on my heart and exactly what that looks like.

I have also been helping work on a documentary about human trafficking, which is cool, so I am watching and recording the interviews from all the video clips at the moment. I'm not sure yet when the video will be finished... but if I can include it in a later newsletter for you guys I will! And I am also currently serving in various areas around the base anywhere they need help.

Justice focused ministries have an average lifespan of 2 years, because the staff/leaders get burnt out or don't know where to take the next step etc.  It's a hard field to be in, and never ending demand of workers. So part of what the Centre is doing is coming alongside these ministries around the world, working with the staff, doing pastoral visits, helping raise finances, and having the staff evaluate their own ministries and take necessary steps to continue. Thus lengthening the lifespan of these types of ministries. That said, I will be part of a team going to India in August to help with a pastoral visit to a ministry working with abandoned girls there.

Here is an overview of what my year looks like. Thank you so much for your prayers, support, and for coming alongside me in the vision God has given me!

May-June: WCAC, human trafficking documentary, serving on base (Salem, Oregon)
July: Justice Has a Face Workshop (Salem, Oregon)
August: India with the WCAC, pastoral visit (Vijayawada, India)
Sep-Nov: Making Disciple Makers course (Lonavala, India)
Dec: TBA

No comments:

Post a Comment