Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Missing my "other" home...

This is indeed India!
The land of dreams and romance, of fabulous wealth and fabulous poverty, of splendor and rags, of palaces and hovels, of famine and pestilence, of genii and giants and Aladdin lamps, of tigers and elephants, the cobra and the jungle, the country of hundred nations and a hundred tongues, of a thousand religions and two million gods, cradle of the human race, birthplace of human speech, mother of history, grandmother of legend, great-grandmother of traditions, whose yesterday's bear date with the modering antiquities for the rest of nations-the one sole country under the sun that is endowed with an imperishable interest for alien prince and alien peasant, for lettered and ignorant, wise and fool, rich and poor, bond and free, the one land that all men desire to see, and having seen once, by even a glimpse, would not give that glimpse for the shows of all the rest of the world combined.
by
Mark Twain


The first time I read this excerpt I was enamored... that was maybe four years ago... I still LOVE it. Expresses so well this country of India that is so close to my heart. Mark Twains words are so fitting and used so rightly. One day I hope to be able to use words as well as he does! 

"The one land that all... desire to see... and wouldn't give up that glimpse for the shows of all the rest of the world combined." This is how I felt the first time I visited India... so much to take in... every time I return I feel like I learn a million new things, forever overflowing my head & heart with information and emotions. 

India feels a million miles away today (yes I know it IS geographically!) but I'm talking about in my heart & mind... I miss my "other home." My heart longs to step foot in India again, to breathe the unique air, attempt to speak to people in the shops along the road, make new friends, buy fresh vegetables in the market, share Jesus with those who don't know Him, LOVE people, simply LOVE with whatever means God enables me.  

Asia has officially captured my heart, yet I know not why still... something about these countries has sucked me in, has stolen my heart like a lover. I can't even express it at times, but my heart aches for these nations. Indonesia & India where I've already traveled... Cambodia & Thailand which I can't wait to see and discover more of God's heart for this massive continent! Anyway, feeling a bit "homesick" for my second home India today... 

The Indian way of life provides the vision of the natural, real way of life. We veil ourselves with unnatural masks. On the face of India are the tender expressions which carry the mark of the Creator's hand.
  by George Bernard Shaw (Irish playwrite)

No comments:

Post a Comment